What information and identity documents an applicant will need to provide with their CRB application form.
What information is required?
Full current name and address
Date of Birth
Place of Birth
National Insurance Number
Contact telephone number
Address details dating back 5 FULL years
Details of any previous or alternative names
Details of the position and organisation for which the application is being made
You must submit documents to verify the information you give in your application.
The rules for what you must provide are as follows
You should follow the three routes as outlined below.
All applicants must initially be considered for Route one. Can the applicant produce a Group 1 document? If yes, then the applicant must produce 3 documents:
- 1 document from Group 1 (refer to list of Valid Identity Documents) and
- 2 further documents from Group 1, 2a or 2b; one of which must verify their current address.
If the applicant has satisfied this route, then the document check is complete.
If the applicant cannot produce a Group 1 document then go to Route Two.
NOTE - EEA Nationals (Non-UK):
Where an EEA National has been resident in the UK for 5 years or less the RB should validate identity via Route One through checking of a Current Passport or Current UK Driving Licence (photo card only) plus 2 further documents. In the absence of a Group 1 document the RB must satisfy themselves of a valid reason for using Route 2.
NOTE - Non-EEA Nationals:
All Non-EEA Nationals should be validated via Route One only.
The applicant must produce 3 documents from Group 2 comprising of:
- 1 document from Group 2a and
- 2 further documents from Group 2a or 2b; one of which must verify their current address.
An external validation check will be made to confirm the address and history of the applicant – there would be an extra charge applied for this additional service
ALL Registered Bodies must have exhausted Route One and should have endeavoured to have accessed an external validation check (Route Two) before you consider processing them via Route Three.
For Route Three, the applicant must produce:
- Birth certificate (UK and Channel Islands) - (issued after the time of birth by the General Register Office/relevant authority i.e. Registrars - Photocopies are not acceptable) and
- 4 further documents from Group 2 comprising of:
- 1 document from Group 2a and
- 3 further documents from Group 2a or 2b; one of which must verify their current address
If the applicant fails to produce the required document set at Route Three, they will need to be sent for fingerprinting by the Police. This may add delay into the overall application process.
List of Valid Identity Documents
Group 1 - Primary Trusted Identity Credentials
- Current valid Passport
- Biometric Residence Permit (UK)
- Current Driving Licence (UK) (Full or provisional) Isle of Man /Channel Islands;
- Photo card only (a photo card is only valid if the individual presents it with the associated counterpart licence; except Jersey)
- Birth Certificate (UK and Channel Islands) - issued at the time of birth;
- Full or short form acceptable including those issued by UK authorities overseas, such as Embassies, High Commissions and HM Forces
- Current UK Driving licence (old style paper version)
- Current Non-UK Photo Driving Licence (valid only for applicants residing outside of the UK at time of application)
- Birth Certificate (UK and Channel Islands) - (issued after the time of birth by the General Register Office/relevant authority i.e. Registrars - Photocopies are not acceptable)
- Marriage/Civil Partnership Certificate (UK and Channel Islands)
- Adoption Certificate (UK and Channel Islands)
- HM Forces ID Card (UK)
- Fire Arms Licence (UK and Channel Islands)
- Mortgage Statement (UK or EEA)** (Non-EEA statements must not be accepted)
- Bank/Building Society Statement (UK or EEA)* (Non-EEA statements must not be accepted)
- Bank/Building Society Account Opening Confirmation Letter (UK)
- Credit Card Statement (UK or EEA)* (Non-EEA statements must not be accepted)
- Financial Statement ** - e.g. pension, endowment, ISA (UK)
- P45/P60 Statement **(UK & Channel Islands)
- Council Tax Statement (UK & Channel Islands) **
- Work Permit/Visa (UK) (UK Residence Permit) **
- Letter of Sponsorship from future employment provider (Non-UK/Non-EEA only - valid only for applicants residing outside of the UK at time of application)
- Utility Bill (UK)* - Not Mobile Telephone
- Benefit Statement* - e.g. Child Allowance, Pension
- A document from Central/ Local Government/ Government Agency/ Local Authority giving entitlement (UK & Channel Islands)*- e.g. from the Department for Work and Pensions, the Employment Service , Customs & Revenue, Job Centre, Job Centre Plus, Social Security
- EU National ID Card
- Cards carrying the PASS accreditation logo (UK and Channel Islands)
- Letter from Head Teacher or College Principal (16/17 year olds in full time education - only used in exceptional circumstances when all other documents have been exhausted)
- denoted with *- it should be less than three months old
- denoted with ** - it should be issued within the past 12 months
- not denoted - it can be more than 12 months old
Group 2a - Trusted Government/State Issued Documents
Group 2b - Financial/Social History Documents
If a document in the List of Valid Identity Documents is: